Thursday, January 8, 2009

Finally ... Christmas Eve!

WARNING ... Lots of Pictures! :)

My sister Nyla and her husband Biff came from Texas this year for Christmas. So, we spent the better part of Christmas Eve with my family at my parents house. The girls and I went over in the morning to hang out for a bit. Then I left them and did some last minute shopping (being out of town for 5 days right before Christmas meant I hadn't gotten the little things done or had a chance to buy the food). Then Steve and I went back over for a big family dinner on Christmas Eve. It was GREAT! THANKS MOM!! AND RON! Ron deep fries a turkey for us - which we love! Got to find entertainment any way you can, right? Steve teases the girls a lot! Taylor's upside down this time!
Jessica gets a piggy back ride from Glen! Ronnie and Alyssa ... wondering about the presents and maybe playing with the train under the tree! Grandpa has a really nice train that goes around the tree! Its a Thomas Kincade train. All of us love it.
Traditions in my family ...

... a new ornament every year for every member of our family. If you've seen my tree or pictures of my tree in my living room, it is covered with misc ornaments. There is a mouse in a thimble from when I was 1 year old and a strawberry shortcake from when I was about 8. One from almost every year of my life is on that tree, plus one or more for Steve every year since we've been married and the girls since they arrived. One from a secret santa in 4th grade and one from my best friend in 6th grade and one from a co-worker at Glen Raven Mills when I worked there in high school. Some that I made as a child with my family or at school. And now, the girls make ornaments at school, home or other places and those join the collection too. It makes decorating the tree really special to me because its my memories.
... for as long as I can remember, we always opened one present on Christmas Eve. It was ALWAYS pajamas except one year in high school we had my mom's brother and his family there so she gave us all really cool Santa mugs instead. That tradition carries on again now that my parents are close to two of us. Normally after we open pajamas, we all put them on and listen to my dad read the Christmas story out of the Bible. We didn't listen to the Christmas story this year ... not sure why, but I missed it. We were probably busy getting ready to leave to go look at lights and just forgot until after we were gone. Sorry dad. It means a lot to me and I'm sorry we didn't get to do that this year. The kids did all get in their pajamas for a group picture of the 6 grandkids who live here.
Meghan and Jess waiting for present time.
My parents watch as everyone opens their present.
The group shot of grandkids in the pajamas. Taylor, Alyssa, Ronnie in the back row, Meghan, Jess and Glen in the front. Notice all the polka dots (Tay's are polka dot too!). Meghan loves polka dots and it has spread to my little girls too! What's the book ... "I belong in the zoo." Time for hugs and good nights with Merry Christmas wishes for all!
My parents with Taylor. Alyssa and Glen with Nyla.
LaNae with Jess and Taylor (and Tay is smiling!). Nyla with Taylor (and Tay is smiling AGAIN!)
Nyla with Jess.
Steve often lays down for a nap at my parents' house. Alyssa decided to snuggle with him. He's staying still to make it look like a candid picture ... but Alyssa is grinning for the camera!

No comments: