Thursday, February 10, 2011

BIG NEWS!! Lettuce & Spinach!

Lettuce - just plain iceberg lettuce...

and Spinach - just plain, raw spinach leaves...

By themselves, you'd probably think I've lost my mind to call lettuce and spinach big news.

BUT if I add the name TAYLOR to that statement ... and you know Taylor, you will understand why that is HUGE NEWS!!! Yes, Taylor NOW likes lettuce and spinach!! I am SOOOOO excited. With Taylor's feeding disorder, we make Tay try 3 bites of something at dinner that she doesn't normally eat. I noticed last week that if lettuce was an option she always chose that without any fuss even when I did bigger than her normal dime or smaller pieces. Sunday at my mom's house, I gave her a big piece of lettuce, probably 2 or 3 inches square. She didn't fuss at all. Taylor ate that piece and then continued to pick about 6 or 7 more pieces out of the salad bowl and ate them all. Then Monday night, Taylor saw salad for dinner and asked if she could have some. It contained lettuce and spinach leaves. She took a bite of spinach and spit it out. But ate quite a bit of lettuce. Then Tuesday night, she asked me if she could try spinach again. She ate two leaves and later informed me that she likes it. Today, she took both in her lunch! WAHOO!! It may not seem like much if you don't know Tay's history, but trust me, this is HUGE!

I've been really stressing the last couple of months about Taylor's eating. I've talked to several people about it and I always end up crying because it worries me and frustrates me but with a decreased income and no insurance this past year, taking her to the doctors or specialists has not been an option so her finding even two such simple things that she likes is such a huge step and blessing. It has been a LONG time since she has started eating something new so this gives me hope that she's breaking through her barriers.

2 comments:

Michele said...

I think Tay has come a long way the last couple of years! She runs up and hugs me every time she sees me know. She is a cutie:)

Michelle said...

That is FABULOUS news! I understand kids with eating problems - I'm glad she tried new things, even healthy things and likes them. Happy day!