Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Nursery

There is a nursery near our kids' school, so the first graders took a walking field trip to the Nursery. Imagine about 75 kids and 25 parents walking 3 or 4 blocks... it was kind of a big long train of craziness. I went with them and Steve surprised Taylor by showing up on his bike shortly after we left the school. They were supposed to learn a few things about plants (from the employee who gave them a tour) but I'm not sure they got much. Taylor did SURPRISE me by ASKING to taste the cabbage leaf that I was passing around. YEP, Taylor ASKED to try something. I was so excited and proud of her. She tried it ... didn't like it, but she tried without me having to force her. BIG for her. At the end, they all got to plant a little celery plant in a cup. Taylor's was growing really well until she left it outside in the grass and her dad ran over it with the riding lawn mower... oops! I liked the lighting on her face ... she looks so thoughtful and calm ... :)
You can't really see Taylor in this picture, but it gives you an idea of the parent-to-child ratio on this field trip. It was kind of funny. A TON of moms went and a couple dads too. Because it was walking and free, moms could bring preschoolers in strollers so we all turned out.
Taylor with two of her friends ... Ally and Ella. Taylor is shorter for her age, but these two are a little taller than most in their class.
One of the BEST perks of having Steve not working for someone else right now is having him available to do things with this like us. 8 months ago, Taylor would NEVER have asked her dad for something even if he was in the same room and I was on the other side of the house, wanted to do something with him (when given the choice of doing something else with me) ... i.e she was a MAJOR mommy's girl. I love the bond that she and I share, but it always made me sad that she didn't have a bond with Steve. Now, she REALLY does. These last 8 months with him home and around so much more, their relationship has really grown and it makes me so happy to see.
Those of you who really know Taylor, might be a little surprised to see her just grabbing the dirt and putting it in her cup ... she's come a long way. She did proceed to rub her hand on her dress to make sure every particle of dust was off, BUT she at least did it without being weirded out.


Taylor's class ...
The walk back to school ...
It was pizza day at school and Taylor wanted us to stay (not that she eats pizza) so we got Jessi pizza and ate lunch with Taylor! Days like THIS are why I love being able to work from home so I can be a full-time mom!

No comments: