Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Great Advice ... Little Joys

As you all know (or if you haven't read my blog recently, you will know as you read the previous posts), this has been a tough week. I've been a mess. Just when I think I'm holding up well, I fall apart. But a great friend of mine reminded me of some advice I gave him last week about some big challenges in his life. He had told me "I guess I need to learn how to deal with things and still be happy." I told him, "Remember to keep finding the little joys in life, it helps make the big things easier to handle. And remember, one of the best joys in life is friendship." When I gave the advice, I really thought it would help him, but I didn't realize that I'd need to remember it this week. Thankfully, when things got rough this week, he reminded me of what I had said. Find the little joys and use them to make it through. Thanks to a great friend who not only took my advice but reminded me of my advice to help me make it through!

Little joys in my life right now (some are actual big joys):

  • GREAT friends ... neighbors, ex-co-workers, clients, college friends, HS friends and even childhood friends.
  • Fun memories from my past.
  • Chocolate chip cookies from my mom.
  • A friend who offers her yummy chocolate cake.
  • Job openings ... : ) the more he applies, the more likely something will come, right?
  • Friends who share info about job openings.
  • Friends who call and email just to be there for me.
  • Birthday party invitations.
  • Little twin boys who want to sit on my lap and cuddle.
  • Going to the gym and hurting like heck after.
  • A jetted tub to sit in after the gym when I hurt like heck - that's where I'm headed now!
  • Protein shakes.
  • Good weather.
  • No need for air conditioning.
  • Friends blogs that make me laugh, smile and even cry that happy kind of cry!
  • Facebook and the chance to get back in touch with old friends and strengthen friendships
  • Cute free easy-to-use borders for my blog!
  • Comments on my blog from my great friends.
  • 16 tiny baby guppies in my aquarium
  • My business doing well.
  • A great assistant (office, home and babysitter)
  • Carpool for school, preschool and dance!
  • 2 hours on Tuesdays and 2 hours on Thursdays of quiet time
  • My lasik surgery so I can see without contacts or glasses!
  • DVR - so I can watch my shows when I want
  • Coupons.
  • Child-like excitement over little things (Jessica making a rainbow "fish" picture for her friend, Alyssa singing in choir, Taylor doing cartwheels, Steve and his remote-control planes)
  • Taylor eating SPAGHETTI!!! (ok, so it was only a noodle about 3 inches long, but its a FIRST and she actually smiled after and said she liked it - of course, she quickly refused more, but I think she actually realized that she could eat other things!!!)
  • My craft room and all my supplies so I can still scrapbook and craft without spending money!
  • Books to read.
  • Food storage.
  • No major health issues for me, my girls, Steve or my immediate family.
  • .... I'm sure I could come up with lots more! But I think you get my point and I actually feel better.

And of course the biggest joys: An amazing husband, 3 beautiful daughters, my family and a Father in Heaven who loves me!

Thanks MR for reminding me of the advice I so openly gave and had quickly forgotten to apply. Nothing like eating your own words, but hey, I'm feeling better. Must be something to that saying "Count your blessings".

2 comments:

Ciria said...

I love this post! I am so sorry to hear aobut steve's job. I asked Adam and his work is not expanding at this time! But if we hear anything we will let you know. This post reminded me of my favorite quote..."the joy of life is an expression of the love the Lord has for me."

MET said...

You are a great friend! Thanks for reminding me of all the joys in our life...and my boys being one of them (thanks for loving them). You are a great example to all of us. Thanks for all you do for me and my family! We still are so blessed with all that we have...but it can still suck! Love ya!