Friday, July 17, 2009

Father's Day

Father's Day this year, we celebrated with my dad and mom on Friday. We took them out to lunch. On Father's Day, we had dinner at our house with all of Steve's family. But first it was just us - present time! I didn't do anything big this year, just some fun treats in an old way ...

The candy word poster - but I cut up the words and made him figure out the order and what candy bars went on it (with some help, of course).

The girls thought it was fun to help.
Steve and his girls wrestling on the floor. I love this guy!! He is such a good dad. And he gets better every day! More patient, more playful, understands them better ... he really loves them and I love that about him. He tries hard to be a great dad, for them and to support me too. I love him for that too!
The copmleted sign. Ignore the funny smile ... he'd been doing some funny poses right before this picture. :)
This is the shirt and tie card that Alyssa made for Steve - she also helped Taylor and Jessica each make one - TOTALLY on her own. I didn't give her the idea or anything! I think she got the idea from school. She's growing up so much.
One of the things that makes Steve happiest - flying his plane! His family enjoyed watching too.
Steve's neice Kendall.
Taylor
Jessica
Alyssa
Steve's brother-in-law Adam and his son Zachary - watching the plane overhead! Steve with his sister Karen and her husband Adam.
Steve's parents. We are so proud of his mom! She has lost 100 lbs in the last year. Eating better and doing some exercises 3 times a week. And on Father's Day, she took WALK with us - her first "walk" in YEARS to the end of the block and back. May not seem like much, but last year she couldn't walk from the car to our front door without being EXTREMELY winded. She is doing so good and is determined to keep going! She is so much happier too - its fun to see her this way!

But this post wouldn't be complete without talking about my dad and more about Steve.

My dad ... he is the epitome of work hard! He is always doing a project of some kind - building cabinets, fixing something, .... He enjoys being busy, I think. He taught me so much growing up. He worked hard all day and then worked in his garden, took care of the yard, fixed things that needed fixing and RARELY raised his voice, even a little. He always did daddy daughter "interviews" with me before school started to just check in and see how I was doing. We'd talk about things and play a game - he kept two games in his closet that we only played during this time (one was a 3D Tic Tac Toe with marbles - the other was a barrel of Monkeys). I treasure those memories. He was kind, he worked hard, he loved others and he helped others. He was always busy with something, yard, work, church, family. But I also remember him having time to take me to some of the parades I was in and even some of my baton competitions. Later, he attended football games when I was in band and drove the 35 minutes with me (one way) every week when I had baton lessons in Greensboro. He always sacrficed for all of us. I love my dad! And I'm grateful he lives close so I get to see him often!!

My Husband, the father of my girls. I've posted about him before, but I still have to do it again! I am so grateful for him!!!! I love him so much. He has grown to be an amazing dad and husband. He works SO hard all day and programs many nights for his own business but he always finds time for dinner with us and for date night! He really goes out of his way to help me be a better mom and person. He takes time to teach our kids how to be good people. He takes time to listen to what they did each day. He takes time for them and then when that is done, he takes more time for me. He does his best to attend special occassions and events for the girls. I love his passion for life, for the things he enjoys. I love his sense of humor and easy going personality. I love his determination and work ethic. I love how he takes pride in our home - how we take care of it and how it looks. I love that he HELPS me around the house so much. I love that he worries about me and the girls. I am so grateful that he has a testimony of Christ and the atonement and that he understands I'm not perfect, that none of us are and that he can forgive me when I show how imperfect I am! And more than anything, I am so glad he is my best friend and that he loves me so unfailingly! I love you Steve!

2 comments:

Steve said...

Thank you for a fun Father's Day and for the kind words in your post. I love you and feel very blessed to be married to you.

Love 'Teve

Michele said...

Cute candy gram. I might have to steal that idea some time:)