Tuesday, May 21, 2013

4th Grade Pioneer Day

Our elementary school studies Utah history in 4th grade.  The teachers (with the help of a lot of parent volunteers) do a Pioneer Day.  The kids dress up in clothing from the pioneer days and spend the day at Willow Park playing games and doing pioneer activities.  I volunteered to be with Taylor's group for the day. 


We started out with sawing a small branch with a two-man saw.

Played marbles.

 
Hand-mixed fudge. 
 

Sewed a bean bag.
 

We mixed butter by shaking it in a jar.

 
 
Made scones.  The kids got to use the butter they had just made on their scones.  Taylor at least tried a tiny bite - although she did not like it. 
 
 
We learned how to play some string games and made a button yo-yo (which I thought was pretty cool - I had never seen one before).


We did tin punch art - Taylor chose to do a cat outline.

 
They shot at pictures of game with rubber band guns.  



They played stick pull with each other. 
 
 


 
Tay wanted to play it with me ... 

I definitely had an unfair advantage and stood her up without much effort (she's so tiny).  But she had fun trying. 


They played horse shoes. 

 
And a final group shot of the kids I spent the day with. 

 
We finished the day with lunch and then the bus ride back.  Our tradition on fieldtrips has always been to take pictures on the bus on my phone ... so here are a few to wrap up this post (a normal one and a few crazy).
 


 

No comments: