Sunday, May 19, 2013

Steve turned 40!

For Steve's 40th birthday, I surprised him with a party a week or so before.  He had no clue it was coming!  He was actually bugged because he was hungry and I wanted to stop and register our girls for swim lessons at a nearby community clubhouse.  He almost didn't come in with me - I had to ask him to.  We walked toward the room and he commented that it looked like someone was having a party - and I just walked on in and he had to follow me ... only to realize it was his friends gathered for his party! 

Thanks to my fun staff who helped so much so I could pull it off.  It turned out great. 

I decorated each table with themes from his life - childhood, high school, Japan, BYU, and things he loves like space, Olympics and drumming. 




I wrote up facts about Steve and gathered memories from friends and attached them to balloons and scattered them around the room.  These got printed on 4x6 color cards and later got put in a scrapbook of the night.
 
My graphic designer, Katherine and I put together a 12x12 poster for each year of his life.  We used a couple pictures of Steve from each year plus facts and pictures of events that happened that year throughout the world.  41 of them hung around the room - 1973 to 2013.  It was really fun to make them and see them hanging.  Then I put them all in a book after the party.
 

We had smoked tri-tip and chicken legs plus sides and desserts brought by everyone - including Webecke Chocolate cake.  YUM!

 Fun to see everyone and so glad so many friends were able to come!

Dallas and Robyn are some of our long-time friends that we met in BYU Marching band.  We've known them since we were first married.  They both also have May birthdays and we always celebrate with them! 

 Almost everyone who was at the party!  Thanks everyone for coming and making it a great night!  Wish more of you could have come.

Steve Lindsey - I love you!  40 and grey but I love you more today than I did when we first got married!  Happy Birthday!  I hope to spend the next 40 years and more with you!  You always make me smile and laugh, even when I don't want to.  You remind me to enjoy the little moments, to not stress and to step outside my comfort zone.  You lift me up when I'm down, you help me relax when I'm stressed and you help me think through my frustrations and concerns to solve things.  You never cease to amaze me and constantly surprise me with your optimism, energy and sense of humor!  I love you!

No comments: