An explanation for my friends who are not Mormon and don't know much about us ... I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (often nicknamed Mormons - or LDS). I'm not going into doctrine or beliefs here, just how our church funcionts a little differently than most churches. First, once you are a member of our Church, you attend a congregation based on where you live - you don't ever choose to go to a different one. These areas are called "wards" and we meet together as a congregation. Each ward is a geographical boundary based on the number of members in that area. Here in Utah, where a large percentage of people are LDS, our ward boundaries are rather small, a few blocks. When I left Elon, there was one ward that served basically all of Alamance County and even included bits of a a couple other counties. Ward boundaries are changed as needed, based on new members or less active members. Our church functions in these wards or branches (smaller wards - in areas where there are even less members) throughout the world. And each ward functions very similarly ... has the same types of meetings, same organizations and names etc. So, when you move from one place to the next, you already have a ward "family" so to speak and when you go to church it is going to feel very much the same as the previous ward you were in.
Second big thing that is different is that none of our leaders are paid, including the head of our church, our Prophet, the heads of our wards, the Bishop. He oversees the ward, and with counselors, he asks ("calls") members of our church to serve in different positions and ways as needed. We might be called to be the president or a counselor for children's church (we call it primary), teach a primary class, play the piano, teach a Sunday School Class, lead our women's organization (Relief Society) or work with our youth (young women's). Callings are given to us so we can serve, so we can learn to love those we are serving and so we can learn and strengthen our own beliefs. Even people who give talks and prayers in church on Sundays are just members asked to serve that way. Our Bishop doesn't preach like a pastor or preacher would. With all that said, I was recently "released" from a "calling" in our young women's organization where I worked with the 14 and 15 year old girls. I was their adviser which meant I taught their class every few weeks and attended their meetings and activities. I worked with and helped teach their class presidents (girls called to serve their age group) how to lead their class - including planning weekly activities. I loved that calling. Working with the youth was very rewarding. But I already posted about that a few weeks ago. With that explanation out of the way, I can now share and everyone understand what I mean. : )
So, Well, this week I was given a new calling. I'm called to serve as the compassionate service leader in Relief Society. What does that mean? It means I am responsible for coordinating service within our ward when a woman or family needs help. The help might come in the form of coordinating meals to be taken for a few days to a family who has lost a family member, or whose mom is having a baby or is sick, it might be help with a funeral, it might come in the form of scheduling volunteers to watch children or even clean house for a mom on bedrest or having surgery, it might include scheduling people to help a family pack who is moving.... the list goes on. It also involves being aware of the needs of all the ladies and families and just being of service to them and involving others as much as is possible/necessary, loving and serving them. I'm sure I will learn more ... but that is what I know right now.
I am very excited about my calling. I love serving others and its one of those things I can easily obsess about (read my previous posts about obsessive reading and holding on). I am also excited about this because I love getting to know others and serving others is the best way to learn about others, to get to know them and to get to love them. I feel truly blessed to have this calling to help me grow!! When Steve heard what my new calling is, he laughed and said it was perfect for me because I love doing this kind of thing anyway. It will definitely be rewarding for me but that doesn't mean I don't know it will be a big job! ... right now there are 8 or 9 women in my ward who are pregnant (including one set of twins)!
3 comments:
That is an exciting calling. Our family is keep our compassionate service committee busy right now... Rachel (Cauley) Walston is the leader so we are in great hands. I know you will do a great job, I agree with your hubby, this is a perfect job for you ;)
This calling is a real blessing - to yourself as well as all those you'll be serving! I've been compassionate service leader for about a year, and have found that it's all about delegating, delegating, delegating and encouraging and allowing and coordinating others' service. Of course there's a lot to do yourself, but make sure you're getting the sisters to serve each other - it blesses everyone! Have fun!
You will be great. This calling is perfect for you. Unfortunately for me...you left some big shoes to fill in the YW. Love ya, Donna. Can't wait to see your pics from Spring Break!
Post a Comment