There are some qualities that I love to see in others. I see most of them very prominently in my husband, and that's probably why I love him so much. So this is to Steve... I love you for who you are and who you are helping me and our daughters become!
One of the most important traits I appreciate in other people is how aware they are. Example - Steve and the girls went to dinner at Kneaders while I was gone. It was nice outside so they ate on the outside patio. A couple pulled up and the lady went inside. The man got out of his car and stood a few feet away from where my family was sitting. He proceeded to chain smoke 3 or 4 cigarettes while waiting for the lady to pick up their food. The wind was blowing and blew the smoke right into the faces of my family. He was not the least bit aware of what his actions were doing to others. NOT AWARE! Oblivious. Not only was he smoking in an illegal area - within 25 feet of the door, but he just wasn't aware of how his actions were affecting others and/or he wasn't kind enough to care. When people are aware of how their actions affect others and are careful to think of others, they are more likeable and more successful. This is a quality you can see missing in a lot of drivers, shoppers etc. Its very obvious. The world would be a better place if people would do that simple thing - be aware of others and adjust your actions to be courteous to those around you. I am very grateful that Steve always tries to be aware of how his actions affect others - me, my girls, our neighbors, friends, family and even strangers.
Another quality I love in others is whether or not they think outside the box - innovation. I'm a thinker, a puzzle solver. I like to think of new situations and ideas to solve them. I consider myself pretty good at it and I thrive on that. Being given a challenge for my mind to unravel is the thing I miss about working full-time. I hated working with people who couldn't see the big picture, who didn't want to or weren't able to think outside the box and wouldn't accept others who did. Unfortunatley, that was a big part of the culture of where I worked. Its probably why so many people I worked with didn't get along with me and why I chose the friends I did. I enjoy being around others who also think outside the box because it makes things fun for me. Some people find thinking outside the box easier than others do, - I guess its a talent. But, there is nothing more frustrating than people who not only find it hard to think outside the box but also discourage it and ignore ideas of others who do. I'm not great at a lot of things, but that doesn't give me the right to discourage others. If anything, it should give me reason to encourage others! If you are one who finds it difficult to think outside the box, find others who can and encourage it and listen to their ideas. Support them and do your part in other ways. Don't stifle innovation and creativity anywhere. Steve is definitely a think outside the box kind of person. His work definitely relies on that. He often gets told that what he is doing at work (both his full-time job and some with audioShare) can't be done or just isn't done that way. But he is proving these people wrong. Steve often calls them academia types. Often they are people who are so hung up on their own "education", degrees and even years of experience that they beleive that if they haven't seen it, it can't be done. I read a quote in the airport this weekend that I liked. It said something like "Most of the technologies that we will rely on in 5 you haven't even heard of yet." I believe that. It may not be 5 years, but definitely 10 and 15. Think back to 15 years ago -how many technologies that we use in our homes, jobs and hospitals did not exist and/or were very limited? DVD players, digital cameras, Blu-Ray, texting on phones, laptops ... how many of you (or your parents) had a cell phone and even home computer 15 years ago? All of this because someone dared to think outside the box and create something new! It is something that this country has always thrived on - innovation. I love that quality in others. Hmmmm... didn't Steve win an innovation award in Utah a few years ago? Yep, he and DHC did for the design of audioShare.
Work-ethic... I love this about Steve. That guy will give his heart and soul to any project/job/task that he takes on. He has worked his guts out for audioShare (his business for the past 8 years) and so far, there has been little or no return - in fact, its cost us time, effort and money to keep it going. He has worked without pay for I3 (full-time job) even when things got really tough and didn't look very promising! I worked in an accounting office for several years. And nothing frustrated me more than when people didn't pull their own weight ... except maybe when they not only didn't pull their own weight but they pulled others down (criticized them, complained about them to managers, refused to help them or provide necessary info etc) who were trying to do their jobs. I had a discussion awhile back with someone about work ethic. It is a major downfall of many Americans. Why is it that we outsource so much to other countries? Its because THEY are willing to work HARD. They aren't spoiled or pampered and they don't expect something for doing little or nothing in return. Many Americans have become that way and until that chan ges, we will continue to see outsourcing and buying products made in other countries. Work hard at all you commit to doing. Give it 100% and more. Do your very best and then try again because that is what others deserve from you and what you deserve from yourself.
Passion ... no matter what you do, where you live or your circumstances, find passion in your life! Either find it in a hobby, a talent, your work, your family, your faith in God, somewhere in your life, find passion!! And the more areas the better. It is so sad and disheartening to see people living their life day-to-day without passion. They are bored, sad, almost empty. Such a void fills their life that nothing else can be a part of their life. The longer a person lives without passion, the more they will reject opportunity, miss out on life and push others away - missing out on love too. Where there is no passion, there can be no happiness, no excitement, no love ... at least that is my opinion. My husband is very passionate about the things in his life ... me, our girls, flying planes, playing drums, having flexibility and being independent (from jobs) later in life. I love to watch Steve when he's flying or playing drums ... he is truly happy. I hope that all of us can find what we are passionate about and find a way to incorporate that thing into our life. I am very passionate about my "projects". I often lose myself in them,, sometimes forgetting other responsibilities ... but I love when I have those opportunities to be passionate about something.
So ... its now time for me to go work out (something I'm not passionate about ... but trying to become more passionate about) but I was just in the mood to blog some of my thoughts before I did! I hope all of you have these qualities or are working to develop them more fully and I hope you appreciate them in the people around you and tell them how amazing they are for having these qualities! N ight!
No comments:
Post a Comment