Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Alyssa's Field Trip to the Park

Earlier this year, Alyssa's class went to the Hutchings Museum. Not sure why I didn't go. I must have had a conflict or maybe the teacher didn't let us know early enough so I didn't have a sitter for Jessica ... either way, I didn't go. So, I went on this one with Alyssa instead. On the 14th of May, Steve's birthday, we walked to the park which is a few blocks from their school. Ever seen about 130 3rd graders walking through a neighborhood on a field trip? Exciting, I know, but they actually seemed to enjoy it. Once we got to the park, the teachers split their classes into groups and the parents each ran a different station. The stations all taught something about Native Americans and the kids rotated through all the stations.

My station was hoop and darts, a game they played where the goal was to throw the dart through the hoop for a point. The darts we used were made from a clothespin and yarn, but I'm guessing they originally used feathers and sticks. The kids discovered a problem ... the wind kept blowing the hoop sideways. My theory is the wind existed then too, so the Indians probably dealt with it too! :)

I don't know much about all the other groups, but I know they did some games that helped with target practice, tug-a-war, made bracelets from beads, experimented with yeast in ziploc bags and did a game with stones. Then it was lunch time. Alyssa and her friend Aspen ate with me before dashing off to play on the swingset.

Time to line-up came too quickly for the kids, but just in time for our self-taken picture. She was too distracted with other things to even do a crazy face one ... guess she's growing up!
But I can't end this post, without these next set of pictures ... ISAAC! Alyssa has had a crush on Isaac ALL year long. Cute kid. I guess if she has to have her first BIG crush, Isaac is a good kid to have it on. Isaac knows Alyssa has a crush on him, and seems to tolerate her being around - not sure if he returns the crush or not - guess I'm kind of glad he doesn't!! She has talked about wanting to KISS him ... she's not even 9 yet!

And then there is Jacob. I can't end her school year without mentioning him too ... But there is NO CRUSH HERE!! Jacob and Alyssa argued, teased, criticized and fought with each other the entire year. He's not a bad kid, but he and Alyssa just rubbed each other the wrong way and they truly disliked each other by the time the year was over. Neither was exactly nice to the other one, sometimes almost bullying each other and even getting in trouble and I was rather glad when the year ended! I'm hoping they aren't in the same class next year!

No comments: