Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy 9th Birthday Alyssa!!

Alyssa turned 9 on Saturday!! She's half way to 18 years old!! Wow! This girl has grown up so fast and she is such an amazing kid! Alyssa was born on June 20, 2000 at 7:45 pm. She did NOT want to be born ... and was 11 days late! I was finally induced after pulling CAT4 wire in our new home until late the night before. She was posterior so the doctor had to use forceps to get her to turn and come out ... As she was born, the doctor didn't say then expected, "its a girl" or "congratulations, you have a daughter." Nope, the doctor said "wow look at those cheeks!" The next thing he said was "she weighs 11 lbs if she weighs an ounce!" And when she only weighed 10 lbs 7 oz, he argued with the nurse and made her weigh Alyssa again. Even then he wasn't sure he believed the scales.

1 day old - mad about something! ... look how big she is and how strong she is ... and people wondered why holding newborns was so weird for me ... she never acted like a newborn!
Alyssa's name: In my first trimester - before we even knew it was a girl, I wasn't feeling "great" on a Sunday morning so Steve stayed home from church with me. I laid on the floor of our spare bedroom/office while he surfed the web for baby naming sites. We started with the A's. I loved the nickname Aly so we looked at names that begin with A-l ... Alyssa was the only one we both loved for our daughter - all the others reminded one or the other of us of someone or something. So, it was Alyssa for a girls name ... we never did find a boy name, although we talked about using a family name.
Alyssa 3 days old - coming home from the hospital outift!
Alyssa hated the heat when she was little. We went on a vacation to Pennsylvania, Washington, DC and Virginia with Steve's family when she was just 7 weeks old ... she hated every minute of being outside in the hot, humid weather.
Alyssa 7 weeks old - Hershey, Pennsylvania
Alyssa started out so big, we never got to put her in any of the newborn clothes and she wasn't even in 0-3 very long. Most of those outfits she wore once before we moved onto the 3-6 mo clothes! She always smiled a lot and made us happy!
3 months old
Alyssa started out life very strong willed! She always knew what she wanted and when. As long as we kept her fed, she was an easy baby though - sleeping 6 hours a night at just a few days old. She is still every bit as strong willed and determined. When she sets her mind to something, she is hard to dissuade (is that a word? - meaning persuade to do something else?)
4 months old
5 months old
Her favorite pose as a baby ... just had to share because of those rolls! Check them out! We called her Buddha Baby! :)
Alyssa is a happy child. She loves to make others happy. She loves to make others laugh and loves to perform with hopes of approval, applause and making others smile. She always loves to be doing something - often so distracted that she doesn't hear what others are saying to her.

1st Birthday
Not a shy child either ... did I mention she was happy as long as we kept her fed! She dove into that cake on her 1st bday like it was the only food she'd ever eaten!
Alyssa is daring and likes excitement! She loves to try new things and has little or no fear! She loves rides at amusement parks and water slides, she thrives on feeling that thrill of speed, height, or whatever it is. She tends to be a wild-child!
Alyssa loves babies ... and always has. She loves her little sisters, especially when they do what she wants. :) She loves to help with them (although now it is becoming less that she loves to help and just wants to make them do what she wants!) She truly loves little ones though. She always loved holding both Taylor and Jessica as babies. And she loves holding or playing with any baby that comes close to her now! When our neighbor's twins were about a year old, Alyssa often asked if she could go play with them. I didn't always let her, but when we were at their house for something, she always spent her time with them rather than the kids closer to her age.
Alyssa always loves to be doing things! She often asks, "can we go here" or "can we do this?" It doesn't matter if we are on our way home from some place fun, she already has the next outing planned and wants to go now! The outings might be Kangaroo Zoo, Jump-On-It, geocaching, playing at the park, Chuck E. Cheese's, McDonalds, the zoo, ice cream, dinner out, a friend's house, etc ... The list of things she wants to do never ends!! Currently, she wants to go to Disneyland so she figured out how much money it would cost for us to go with one of the package deals we got a flyer on. She decided she and her sisters would earn the money to go!! So, they are currently working on it. We have a jar that gets money added to it when they do their jobs and money taken away when they disobey and/or don't do their jobs. She is determined to earn enough money and has contributed some of her own money as well!
Alyssa has an amazing love for our country, our flag and our environment. She is very concerned about taking care of what we have and always wants to do more! She loves to see the flags flying in the yard on holidays and loves July 4th. She is very appreciative of our military men and women and always shows respect when she sees them. She really seems to understand how lucky we are in the United States to have so many freedoms and how blessed our family is compared to many others who are less fortunate. Shedoesn't always remember it though when she is wanting more!
Alyssa LOVES animals. If she could have ANYTHING in the whole world, it would be a dog. Steve and I aren't big animal people, so right now, she has to settle for an aquarium with fish and a frog and playing with the neighbors' dogs. She has always loved animals of all kinds and loves learning about them too (insects and snakes too - I can handle the butterflies but the other bugs and snakes that she likes ... UGH)!
Alyssa can be a little bossy at times, but she doesn't do it to be mean. She just likes to take charge (a lot like her mom!). Sometimes it means she doesn't have a lot of friends to play with though. When this happens, she often tries to befriend other kids who are different or who don't have friends. She sees their hearts and tries to offer friendship to them, even if she doesn't
always do it in the kindest ways. She has a good heart, and I love her for that! It really makes her sad to see or hear about people who don't have the things we have. Even when she was little, she wanted to do things to help others. She loves to donate money to the humanitarian fund at church and she loves to do projects for others! She is one of those kids that I can see growing up to get involved in causes. I'm not sure what cause she will choose, but I really expect her to serve others and do good things! Did I mention no fear? This kid tried boogy boarding at 7 years old and got so far out and away from her dad that we had to have help pulling her back in! She lives life with energy and enthusiasm. Whether it is dancing, gymnastics, swimming, school, singing, writing stories, creating crafts of all kinds ... she does it with energy and enthusiasm!!

Alyssa loves her Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and really tries to do what's right. She is the one who reminds us to have family time! She was very excited to make the decision to be baptized and we are very proud of how she is trying to live her life. She really has grown A LOT this last year. She has learned to discern right from wrong and is working on making the right choices.
Alyssa is full of drama! The stories I could tell would fill this blog for days and months! She has an amazing imagination which leads to stories to get her out of doing things she doesn't want to do as well as stories to get attention! She also loves to write stories, choreograph dances, draw pictures, make things and just CREATE in general. Her talent is amazing and I am proud of the things she does!

Alyssa loves to be silly! These next few pictures are some that I found on my camera a couple weeks ago - she just loves to be crazy. She has a lot of her dad's spontaneous personality which keeps me smiling and laughing. I love when she does things like this. I also love her laugh. She loves to laugh and one of her favorite things is playing with her dad (he tickles her). I just sit back and watch the giggling and teasing that happens. I will be sad when she gets too big for that, and I'm glad it hasn't happened yet!

Alyssa is so grown up. She is 9 going on 13! I love her passion for things. I love her determination. I love her creativity. I love that she loves to read. I love her sweet, sensitive side! I love when she helps me. I love my little girl!


Happy Birthday Alyssa!!

No comments: