Thursday, June 11, 2009

My Ohio Trip

My mom was born in a little town called Marietta, Ohio. She considered it home growing up even when they lived other places. Its where her parents and their parents were from. Its where her grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins were. She had the opportunity to live there again a few years ago when she and my dad were caring for my grandmother. It was definitely home for her, and she says leaving there was probably the hardest moves she's had to do. And these people are why!


First, my great aunt and uncle. Mary is my grandfather's sister. My grandpa had 2 brothers and this sister, Mary. I don't remember much about my grandpa because he died when I was only 7 and his brothers were gone before him so I don't remember them at all. But my Aunt Mary does well to help make up for that. She is the kindest, most genuine person I know. She and my Uncle Gale celebrated 65 years together when I was there visiting. Love you both! I have to share a story about her ... this little lady can barely stand up (notice in the picture below that she is pushing herself to standing) and yet, she cares for so many others. She still does shopping for "old ladies" in her church and visits the shut-ins. She takes them meals and still makes things for her church bizarre. She helps "old" ladies pay their bills and visits the sick. She LOVES others no matter what and she does everything she can to help others despite her pain, discomfort and age. Truly an inspiring lady! I look forward to a day when I can see her with her brothers again and see how proud every one of them is of her. She is someone I am grateful to know and be related to. This is their family - two sons, daughters-in-law, two granddaughters and a husband and his daughter.
These are two of my 2nd cousins - two of my Mom's cousin's kids. Chris and Tammy are really fun to just hang out with they have fun personalities and we spend a lot of time joking and laughing. I'm grateful for the chance I had to hang out with them and their brother, Bill.
This little one is the newest in the family - just 3 days old. He's Bill's baby (younger brother of the 2 pictured above). Tammy and her husband and son Cole. Cole is the same age as Alyssa and when we visited last time, they had fun playing together. Wish I could have taken my girls with me again this time.
My mom's cousin Bob, his wife Lyn and their grandson with my Aunt Pam and her husband Carl. Pam is my mom's youngest sister and she lives in SLC area and made the trip for the anniversary party too.
I don't have a picture of 3 generations with my grandfather, so this is the closest thing I can get.

My mom and Lyn - yes, Lyn is tall and my mom is short. These two ladies became great friends when my parents lived in Ohio and my mom misses her dearly every day!

I am so grateful I had the opportunity to go on this trip. My mom's love for Marietta and the family there has definitely instilled a similar love in me! There is a level of comfort there that is just nice. Everyone gets a long and is happy and friendly. They all welcome us with open arms and even though I've seen them only about 6 times in the last 12 years, it seems like just yesterday. Isn't family the greatest!? I wish traveling to visit them was easier and less expensive!

1 comment:

Beverly B. said...

I didn't know that you went to Ohio. How fun. I hope you get caught up on your blog soon.