Sunday, November 22, 2009

I love the fall! - with new layouts

Update: Here are my final pages - instead of the ones I had done before. I've deleted them and added these. I truly feel so blessed to live here in Utah and get to experience the seasons and have so much natural beauty around me. Everything below the pictures in this post is re-posted from 10/15.

Credits: Paper & tag from Autumn in Sedona by Sherrie Piegdon. Ribbon, flower, tree from Thanksgiving Weekend by Scraps of Ellay





Growing up on the central coast of California, I didn't really get "seasons". Sure, we learned about them at school, but Lompoc had mostly one season ... windy. Winter meant a slight drop in the temperature and a little more chance of rain with the windy. Spring meant a slightly higher chance of rain but still not a lot. Summer meant a little warmer. Fall meant we could expect the fogs to roll in off the coast. But pretty much year round, we wore the same things. I always took a sweatshirt or coat to school that I needed in the morning but didn't need by recess or lunch. I had never seen "fall colors" or snow until I was 12. When I was 12, we went to Idaho and Yellowstone in February ... saw just a "little" bit of snow! That's also the same year we moved to North Carolina and I experienced SUMMER heat (and humidity).

When the fall came in NC that year, I knew I loved it! I loved the colors and the crisp air. But, I love the fall in Utah even better!! NOTHING I've seen beats the mountains in the fall! When things start to cool down at the end of summer and the kids go back to school, the thing I look forward to is our drive through the canyons. I LOVE having the mountains just 10 minutes from us. Its a perfect Sunday afternoon. Sometime between the 1st and 15th of October is usually the prime time. We went last weekend ... we were about a week late so a lot of the leaves on this end of the Alpine Loop were already gone, but we saw some beautiful sites! Its also my time to try and snap a ton of pictures of the kids.

I helped my mom put together a little photo album/scrapbook for my great aunt's birthday and I wanted to include our fall pictures so I created these two pages really quickly last night. I've got more pictures I want to include so I'll probably re-do them, but I thought I'd share. I loved that we drove through areas where there was snow on the ground and then through areas that were red, yellow, orange and green. It was beautiful!

Taylorisms ... On this trip, Taylor was absolutely WIRED! As we entered the canyon, she was talking about all the colors we were going to see. As we got into the trees, she started telling us the color of EVERY tree we passed. Imagine her saying red, orange, yellow, green, red, red, orange, orange yellow, green, green .... and so on ... as FAST as she possibly could. Almost so fast we couldn't understand all her words. Steve and I were cracking up.
When we convinced her to stop that, she began to say "Its a wonderful day" over and over again. Then she said "Its a wonderful ..." and stopped. I said "DAY". She thought that was pretty funny. So she said, "its a wonderful ... Jess?" Jessica filled in "day". Taylor said YES! Then she continued to Steve and then Alyssa. Alyssa wasn't in the mood to play so she refused to say it. It made Tay mad at first, but she just continued chattering and singing and playing. When she kept saying Its a Wonderful day over and over again, I started telling her it was a wonderful week ... just to see what she'd do. She'd say "day" and I'd say "week". We did that back and fort several times and then I said "month" and she said "week". She cracked up laughing when she realized it.

Intermittently through our drive she also would just start singing random songs ... sometimes they were legit songs, but most of the time, they were made up. Keep in mind, her hyperness has been going on for a good 15 minutes at this point. Our favorite song was to the tune of "Its a small world after all". Her words were: "Its a wonderful day, da day, day, day, da day" followed by lots more "day da day, day, day". Steve and I couldn't stop laughing about it. She sang and played and talked for probably a good 30 minutes before we got her to settle down a little bit. It made our trip fun. Taylor is always a bundle of energy, but Sunday she was more like a truckload of firecrackers! Just absolutely hyper!

1 comment:

Altered Amanda said...

These are wonderful!! I like a lot of styles, but if I had my "druthers" I would do almost all this way, clean and straightforward!