I've seen several forwarded emails this week from friends regarding the upcoming Big Love episodes this season. The emails talk about how they are misrepresenting the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) of which I am a member (in case you didn't know). They are also planning to show some scenes of our temple ceremonies, which we consider to be very sacred. Some of the emails were softer than others but all were written in a tone of frustration or even anger against Big Love producers, HBO and even the FCC. All called for immediate action - notes written to companies voicing our opinion and boycott of the station. I struggled as I read these notes from MANY different friends because although I don't want my religion portrayed incorrectly, I also value our freedoms in this country including freedom of speech even for the media. I chose to take no action, not forward the emails or follow their instructions. But I mentioned to a friend that it would make me very sad to see the mail to HBO because I feared many of the notes would border on hateful and that certainly doesn't represent us well, although it may represent imperfections of us as individuals rather accurately (we all have imperfections, I am very aware of MY own).
Today, a family member sent me a link to this press release written by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. And I choose to forward it to you instead. It is written in a very different tone and takes a different stance. I hope that as members we can all strive to live our lives as the Gospel of Jesus Christ teaches rather than as our emotions dictate or even other members sometimes encourage. Our Gospel is about love, patience, kindness. Our Gospel is about not being judgmental. Our Savior taught turning the other cheek, serving others.
http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/the-publicity-dilemma
And so I hope that when you receive emails like the one about Big Love or other future media or press, you will either not feel the need to be defensive as the press release points out and/or respond with dignity and thoughtfulness, with love as our Savior's example has taught us. Our greatest opportunity and responsibility is to LIVE the Gospel of Jesus Christ as the scriptures and prophets teach us. To share it with others in its correct form (rather than the misrepresented form sometimes portrayed by the media), by living as an example and sharing our testimony when the opportunity arises. To live our lives as Christ would have us live, loving our neighbors (and the media) regardless of how they portray us. May we follow the example of our Savior and live worthy of the blessings and promises taught to us in the scriptures and the Temples.
Its about love, not judging and kindness. May I always love my neighbors, my friends, family and even my enemies who are not being kind to me. May I always treat others with respect and kindness. May I NEVER judge others for their opinions, choices, mistakes or sins. May I be worthy of the love and forgiveness my Savior offers me.
Stepping down now off that soapbox now.
6 comments:
I felt the same when I read the emails and I read the press release this morning. Great post. Thanks Donna!
Well said. Love you.
I agree to the point that my prayer is people will remember who they are and what they represent in the way they respond to this newest event. I guess in a way we should expect it as Satan is feeling more and more threatened in his efforts as the church contines to grow. I think though by not taking a stand I would not be standing up for truth and righteousness. I have although done it in a respectful manner. As for the statement put out by the church they have to give us our free agency and for unfortunate political reasons stand as a church body in a nuetral manner. So I guess the reason I am even leaving this comment is to once again publically say that the airing of the Temple Ordinances on TV is a gravely, disrespectful decision and I did my part to defend the sacredness of the ordinances.
I love soapboxes and I love even more that I agree with yours! :)
Donna...I have hesitated with these emails myself. Thanks for the insight. You can get on your soapbox anytime, chic! It makes sense!
AMEN, AMEN AND AMEN! What a great post Donna! Thanks for the message.
Post a Comment