I have really fallen in love with the outdoors this last year or so. If I had my way, I would honestly hike or camp every weekend. I've just loved it. I love being outdoors. I love being active. And I love seeing the beauty of the place I live. I feel so blessed to live in such a beautiful area with the mountains just a few minutes away, we have so many beautiful places to explore.
We had planned to do a bigger hike with my sister and brother-in-law the weekend school started (Aug 22nd) but they had scheduling conflicts so Steve found this one for just the two of us. Cecret Lake (pronounced Secret - we think - it was also spelled differently in several spots) is up above Alta. The campground and trailhead is down a dirt road. While we were hiking we were under the ski lifts of Alta part of the time. Its amazing to imagine how deep the snow is in the winter in this area. But the snow is what creates Cecret Lake. The lake is an isolated lake created from run-off water and has no other natural sources in or out. It has nothing living in it as it completely freezes every winter. Actually, there are salamanders that live in and out of the water, but that was it. Not a bad hike - probably just a mile or so each waybut Steve and I took a detour on the way in. We went looking for a couple of geocaches and probably added another mile to the hike, making it close to 3 for us.
On our way up, we saw some mooses (meese??). There were 3 of them not too far from the road, really cool. Unfortunately, my camera was in the back of the car. :( But we saw plenty of other beautiful things that I did capture on the camera. This is just a few of the pretty flowers we saw ... I told you I love the beauty of outdoors!



This wasn't long after we started - I thought it was a really pretty area just off the trail. I love how the rocks just jut up out of the growth of flowers, plants and trees. It provides such a cool contrast.

This was a BIG HUGE SLAB of rock. Steve thought it was the coolest thing on the hike. I wished I could have taken an aerial shot of him standing on it, but this was the best I could do! You can only see about 1/2 the slab in this picture.

More scenery ...

The view from the big slab.

The lake ...

Us by the lake - and look at the mountains in the background .. so pretty! For some reason when I look at this picture, I almost feel like Steve and I were digitally added, but we really were there - at an altitude of almost exactly 10,000 feet (we were actually above 10,000 for a little bit while looking for a geocache, but this was just below that). Have to say, it was my first hike to an altitude that high ... other than flying, I don't think I've ever been that high.

It really was a beautiful hike and great date night ... Thanks Steve for planning it!
3 comments:
What a beautiful place! I want to go!
What a beautiful hike. That is a cool thing to do, just the two of you!
Hello. Are you kidding me? The romance in that house is haunting me...love it!
Post a Comment