Sunday, August 2, 2009

Our Annual Block Party

Well, here it is August 2nd and I'm just blogging July 1st!! ARGH. I thought I was getting caught up, but then life kept happening and blogging didn't! All of the pictures from our block party are on my facebook, if you want to see them. But here are some details and fun things that happened!

Kids races! Jessica and her cousin Zachary! Neither of them was sure what to think of Troy lining gup beside them. :)

Bike races!! Again, Jessica and Zachary. Taylor wasn't interested in partipcating in the races this year.
Jessica and her cotton candy that Mitchell helped her get! Thanks Mitchell. It made her evening. So glad others are willing to help my kids out when I'm in the middle of things for the party.
Steve's parents.
Good friends - Dani, Jason and Justin
Taylor took a break from the party and all the people and painted our driveway with some sidewalk chalk/paint that she got for her birthday. I'm not sure she really liked all the crowds this year. She kind of stuck to herself and I often had a hard time finding her and getting her to participate.

Mady, Jessica and Aly
Jessica and Jessica
Proof that I was actually at the party.
Steve's band! FlashPoint!
Alyssa and her friend - a grand-daughter of one of our neighbors. I didn't see much of Alyssa during the party. She was off in 100 different directions, playing with friends, skating, eating cotton candy ... She had a ton of fun.
Jessica in her balloon hat! With Aly.
Taylor on the Barbie bike ... she rode bikes a lot - hers, Jessica's with the training wheels and this old tricycle.
Karen - you go girl!! (This is Steve's sister).
Me and my baby ... She's getting so big!
Taylor and Jason! Check it out Jason, she is actually SMILING!! Jason loves to play with Taylor. He's determined to get her to be his friend. Taylor loves to play shy with him though.
Karianna and Taylor!
And the fireworks begin ... Street of Fire! I had lots of fun shopping for all these fireworks! Everyone donates money to make the block party happen. The money pays for the bounce houses, cotton candy and the legal fireworks that we light off. The girls and I went to Costco to get all the fireworks ... EIGHT big boxes of them. Everyone we passed commented on "wow, what a party" or "wish I was going to be at that party" or similar comments. It was fun. Not quite as fun as the challenge of getting them, all the other stuff I bought and all 3 of my girls back in my van though!!
They may only be legal ground fireworks, but they can get loud and sure fill the sky with smoke when you get that many going at once. What a party!

Me and my little girls!
Proof Steve and I at least got to sit by each other for part of the fireworks! Its a lot of work, but we love doing this party!

This year we estimated about 300-350 people attended. Good turnout considering the weather really wasn't sure it was going to cooperate. In the end, it did, but the setup time was WINDY and threatening rain. It ended up perfect though - cloudy and COOL compared to many years in the past and dry! Great party. I love my neighborhood. Its just too fun. So many amazing people!

No comments: